Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Santana

The long national nightmare is almost over. After months of speculation, news stories, speculation, trade offers, speculation, and oh, did I mention speculation, Johan Santana has been freed from his confines in Minnesota and will be headed to New York. But not, as hoped/feared (depending on which side you take), as a member of the Yankees.

Seems to me that the Twins GM did overplay his hand. The Yankees apparently were out of it entirely at this point, and there are differing reports on whether Boston was really offering much at this point. I was never crazy about the Red Sox offer, but it was probably more of a sure thing than what the Twins had to settle for. And maybe it's just me, but I thought Hughes was the best player offered in any deal, and perhaps the Twins made an error in judgement by waiting too long, as that window closed prety quickly.

But right now I'm glad it went down the way it did. Boston doesn't get Santana and the Yankees get to keep Hughes (not to mention Melky, Kennedy, and any other prospects that might have been involved). Would Santana have been nice, sure, but on the other hand he also would have cost a lot of money and expected a long contract. If you're going to give it to any pitcher, it's got to be Santana, but still. I'm a big fan of Phil's, and I'm glad I'll get to see him pitch as a Yankee.

No comments: